What is Endometriosis
Endometriosis has its origin in word Endometrium. Endometrium is inner lining of uterus. Endometrium grows inside the uterus during non-period days & it sheds during periods. Growth cycle of endometrium is due to hormones secreted by developing egg in the ovary.
Endometriosis is presence of active endometrial tissues outside the uterine cavity. The inner lining of the uterus starts growing outside the uterus. These endometrial tissues grow & bleed every month like normal endometrium but as they are at an abnormal place, they have no outlet to shed in the form of blood during period days. As a result, they start getting latched on to the pelvic cavity & ovaries and causes heavy bleeding, disturbances in the menstrual cycle and severe pain.
- Acute pain in lower abdomen or back pain during periods
- Pain in lower abdomen or back pain during non-period days also (this happens in chronic cases)
- Heavy periods,frequent periods or early periods
- Bleeding in between periods (breakthrough bleeding)
- Passing clots during periods
- Painful urination
- Painful defecation
- Painful intercourse
- Mood swings
Causes as per modern science
There are many theories proposed by scientists to explain the basic reason for Endometriosis. Among them some of the most rationally accepted theories are
-Retrograde Menstruation (for pelvic endometriosis)
-Embryonic cell transformation theory (for distal endometriosis like lungs, brain etc)
-surgical scar implantation (scar endometriosis)
-Endometrial cell transport (transport of endometrial tissues through blood vessels)
What modern science has to say
As per retrograde menstruation theory, period blood flows upward from uterine cavity through fallopian tubes to pelvic cavity. During periods, detached pieces of active endometrium gets lodged on pelvic organs & gets blood supply by invading the respective organ. Ovarian hormones circulate through blood. Misplaced endometrium starts its growth & starts shedding like uterine endometrium under the hormonal influence. When misplaced endometrium bleeds, it forms adhesions, inflammation & results in severe pain.
Causes as per Ayurveda
Suppression of natural urges for longer time especially defecation, urination or flatus
– frequent or chronic constipation
– prolonged labour
-eating dry, bitter, cold food items
-staying awake late night, getting up late in the morning & sleeping in day time
-lack of exercise
-no routine in meal timings
What Ayurveda has to say about Endometriosis
- As per Ayurveda all movements inside our body are due to Vata Dosha
- Functions of Apana Vata: providing energy for the act of urination, defecation, flatulence, expulsion of blood during periods, expulsion of fetus during birth. Its default direction is downwards.
- When a woman does certain things in her diet/ lifestyle that vitiates Apana vata, then it starts moving upwards instead of downward.
- This causes period blood to move upwards in the pelvic cavity instead of coming out through vagina
- As a result, uterine lining known as endometrium gets lodged on pelvic organs like ovary, intestine etc.
- Eventually endometrium starts growing at abnormal places & starts bleeding during periods. This gives rise to adhesions, inflammation & severe pain.
Modern science mostly prescribes treatments that may offer fast relief from Endometriosis symptoms. But it does not eliminate the root cause of this disorder.
Ayurveda is rapidly emerging as the best medical science in world to treat most modern day disorders like Endometriosis, PCOD, diabetes, asthma or arthritis. Ayurvedic herbs eliminates the deep-seated root cause of any disease and naturally restores biological balance in the body.
Ayurvedic herbs such as Haritaki, Sonamkuhi are very powerful in reversing the Apana Vata movement from upwards to downwards to stop retrograde flow of menstruation. In addition, specific astringent herbs help to arrest heavy bleeding and herbs such as turmeric reduces inflammation & provides relief from pain.
Ayurveda treat Endometriosis completely and prevents recurrence.