What is PMS
Premenstrual Syndrome or PMS is a type of reproductive hormonal imbalance. It gives rise to a typical group of symptoms. Hence it is named as Syndrome. PMS may co-exist with other gynecological diseases or it can exist independently for a long time.
- Pain in abdomen before and during periods
- Heaviness in lower abdomen during periods
- Water retention before periods
- Mood swings, negativity or depression before or during periods
- Mild fever before or during periods
- Frequent loose motions before or during periods
As per modern science, exact cause of this disorder is not clearly known.
However, Acharya Charak, one of the renowned master of Ayurveda scripted 20 gynecological disorders in his Vedic scripture ‘Charak Samhita’. Ayurveda, one of the oldest medical science in the world perfectly decoded woman anatomy almost 4000 years ago that still stays relevant in modern times.
As per Ayurveda, root cause of most gynecological disorder including PMS is as follows: –
- Metabolism or digestive power (Pitta) plays the most important role in converting any food we eat in to nutritional juices
- Weak metabolism reduces our ability to properly digest food resulting in undigested food matter, a sticky mucus-like substance called ‘Ama’ which is highly toxic in nature
- Ama mixes with blood and adversely alters the metabolism
- When Ama reaches the female reproductive organs or ovaries it disturbs the balance oestrogen & progesterone (female hormones produced by ovaries). This hormonal imbalance is PMS.
Modern science mostly prescribes treatments that may offer fast relief from PMS symptoms. But it does not eliminate the root cause of this disorder.
Ayurveda is rapidly emerging as the best medical science in world to treat most modern day disorders like PMS, PCOD, diabetes, asthma or arthritis. Ayurvedic herbs eliminates the deep-seated root cause of any disease and naturally restores biological balance in the body.