What Is PCOS/PCOD?
PCOS or Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome is a medical condition faced by women of reproductive age wherein the normal function of the ovaries is disturbed due to over-production of the male hormone: 'androgen'. PCOS is a hormonal disorder where the ovary forms follicular cysts. Both PCOS/PCOD are the same condition diagnosed by gynaecologists.
Women with PCOS/PCOD develop excess fat, typically around their waistline. Additional symptoms which are usually seen in PCOS/PCOD are growth in facial hair, suppressed ovulation, poor metabolism and digestion. Hormonal imbalance leading to irregular/delayed periods is the foremost reason for weight gain in PCOS/PCOD.
Tips To Lose Weight In PCOS/PCOD:
- To Eat or Not To Eat - Register this fact in your mind that the main cause of PCOS is poor digestion leading to poor metabolism. Mindful eating is the key to reverse PCOS/PCOD with the help of exercise and simple lifestyle changes.
- Dairy & Meat - The ultimate rule of portion control should be followed in order to treat PCOS/PCOD. It is a myth that dairy or meat aggravates PCOS/PCOD. You can consume meat and dairy in limited proportions which allows the body to digest it properly.
- Avoid Eating Junk Food - Junk or processed food items take a longer time to digest and sometimes are digested impartially. This impartial digestion of food secretes harmful toxins which are deposited in the ovaries, that cancel out its function.
- Too Much Carbohydrates & Fats Are Dangerous - Limited intake of carbs and fats is essential for the body to carry out certain functions. But, if the food that you consume has higher quantities of carbs and fats it gets accumulated in the body worsening the already existing PCOS/PCOD.
- Have A Sound Sleep - Studies show that women who have a disturbed sleep cycle are more susceptible to PCOS/PCOD. Sound sleep of 8 hours is also essential for the body to carry out the digestion process.
- Stress Can Progress PCOS/PCOD - Too much stress also produces certain hormones in the body which further increases hormonal imbalance.
- Hydrate Yourself - Drink 3-4 liters of water daily. Hydrating your body improves digestion and helps you to throw out harmful toxins from the body in the form of urine and stools.
- Exercise Regularly - Regular exercise for 30 minutes also helps the body to improve metabolism and digestion. Harmful toxins in the body are flushed out in the form of sweat which also helps to reverse PCOS/PCOD.